Thursday, November 25, 2010

Are those angels singing???



I was prepared to be dissappointed. Something as overly hyped as Westvleteren 12 cant be as good as they say, right? But it is Thanksgiving so I thought I would crack it open. And the result is, it's pretty damn good. I had the Westlvleteren 8 previously at the Belgian beer festival and enjoyed that immensely. It is the standard by which I have been judging all the others. The 12 is more complex. It pours a dark brown with a very small head. The taste is nutty and chocolatey with an really interesting mix of bitter with the sweet of the caramel malt. It is far too rich to drink much of. It is really a lot like a desert wine. Rich, sweet, complex. A good finish to a nice meal. Wish I had been able to enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner prior to enjoying it, but turkey's are scarce in these parts. Even still, it is a beer worth being thankful for.

5 Drunk Monks!!!

1 comment:

  1. Never thought I would like a beer that dark but it is really yummy! Definitely worth it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete