Sunday, January 9, 2011

Millions of Peaches, Peaches for Me



The old Presidents of the United States of America tune, Peaches was running through my head as I sampled this light lambic. Prior to moving to Belgium, I viewed fruit in beers as an abomination. And I still do, unless the fruit is the point as it is with the fruit based lambics of Belgium. These beers use copious amounts of juice in them and are deisgned to be light, low alcohol beverages with the characteristic sour lambic note. The latest sample is Lindeman's Pecheresse. The bottle is both capped and corked. (A bit like wearing a belt and suspenders but they probably have a reason.) When I released the cork an immediate odor of peaches hit me. This lambic pours a clear amber color with a minimal head. As I mentioned, there is a strong smell of peach which persists on the palate. The flavor is light, crisp and efervescent. The sourness is there, but not overly assertive. The finish is clean and almost gives the sense of a hard cider made with peaches. At 2.5% alcohol, this is almost not a beer at all. While I think this beverage is probably best as an aperatif, I could see it also pairing nicely with a pork roast or perhaps barbecued ribs (I may have to try that). For me this would not be an every day tippel, nor can I see myself having more than one in a session, but it is nice and I believe I will be purchasing this again in the future (probably to go with those ribs I mentioned). Three and a half drunk monks!

No comments:

Post a Comment