Saturday, January 15, 2011

There Will Be Noodles


During the holidays, we passed by a little restaurant on the Rue Paul Devaux in Brussels with a petite asian lady making hand pulled noodles. I said then and there that we had to come back. Today we did. If you have never seen this done, it is an amazing thing to watch. The noodlemaker swings, twists and shapes noodles by hand until the dough is pliable. They then start doubling the noodle over, pulling it each time. Each doubling, doubles the number of noodles and reduces the diameter enabling the noodlemaker to control the thickness. Noodles made this way have a very silky smoothness and great texture. If you want to watch noodles being made this way, see Alton Brown's video here:









When we got up this morning, the weather looked like it might hold, so I suggested to she who must be obeyed that we head into the city to try this little restaurant out. All I can say is that I am glad that we did. The restaurant is very small with an upstairs and downstairs. You walk in, right in front of the noodlemaker. We found a corner table for two upstairs. Last one available. I opened the menu to find a very limited selection. In my opinion, always a good sign. They make a small assortment of dumplings for appetizers, noodle in broth, fried noodles, and fried rice. That's it. And it is plenty. We started with a small assortment of dim sum which was gone before we could photograph it. I got the noodles in broth with chefs choice of accompaniements knowing that I would trash my shirt as a result, but not really caring. Chef's choice had me enjoying a combination of pork, duck, shrimp, tripe and little meatballs. She who must be obeyed got the fried noodles with enameled pork. Both were incredible. I jacked mine up with some of the sambal that was available on the table and was soon sweating happily.

I really love food like this. It is simple, filling and highly varied. We have absolutely found a new favorite place. So if you are in Brussels and are jonesing for some awesome noodles, Au Bon Bol on rue Paul Devaux. Four and a Half Drunk Monks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment