Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just a Little Off the Top

Just finished getting my hair cut. Not typically a noteworthy achievement except in the context of being an expat in a non-English speaking country. My first few forays into personal grooming did not go very well. I learned a couple of important lessons. The first is that you should not get your hair cut in Walloonia. The French do not necessarily embrace the English language and as my French is elementary at best, that is not a good combination. The second thing I learned is that no matter how bad your haircut is, it is Europe and it would have to be astoundingly bad to look more conspicuous than many of the other guys walking around.

Lately I have been going to an old school barber shop near my garage box. Aside from the photos of guys with very modern Euro hairstyles, the place is straight out of the 50's. Except in a very Flemish sort of way. Retro barber chairs, a bunch of old Flemish guys hanging around talking about voetbal, not an English magazine in sight. But is has something that is like gold, a barber who speaks excellent English. The benefit of this is obvious. I can go in, ask for a trim because I have a business meeting in Germany next week, and I dont leave looking like one of the Pet Shop Boys. It could be quicker, the barber is quite a talker which slows the whole process down, but he does a good job and it is only 9 euros.
Being the Lenten season, She who must be obeyed picked up a seasonal offering from Leffe. Depending on your language it is either their Lentebiere or Leffe de Printemps. This is an Amber with a significant amount of caramel sweetness. There is a light hop background but not enough and it is has a fairly thin mouthfeel. At 6.6% it is not a very strong beer but it is pretty easy to drink. Three Drunk Monks!

No comments:

Post a Comment