Friday, April 8, 2011

Spring Fever


As a highly secular individual, The Masters golf tournament is the closest thing I have to religous observance each year. For me, the Master signals the beginning of Spring and the beginning of golf season. This year has wound up a little different. Every year for the last ten I would manage to watch all four rounds of The Masters, either in tape delay or on line. I was all set to do the same this year. I had assumed, incorrectly, that I would be able to watch the first two rounds live on line as I have the last few years. When I logged into the Master website however, it said that the video stream was not available in my area. I then spent the next two hours trying to update my ipad so that I could download the Master App. Unfortunately, in Europe it only offers highlights and clips not the live streaming of the US version. As of this writing, it appears that I might get some live coverage over the weekend on the BBC but I am not holding my breath. As consolation however, I am able to watch the REd Sox Yankees home opener on ESPN America. Not only that, but it is the NESN feed with Rem Dawg, so not all is bad. Although the Red Sox could start winning any time now.

So to Celebrate Beer Friday, I had a couple of St. Bernadus Abt 12 over dinner. I have to confess, that I like the St.Bernadus beers. I had not had the Abt 12 before, so when I saw it as the special for the evening, I had to give it a go. The first thing you notice with this beer is the smell. It is floral. Floral like a rose garden. Your first sip is a combination of fruity, yeasty goodness. There is a lot of complexity to this beer. The next thing you get is a strong alcohol bite with a smooth caramel/toffee finish. The mouthfeel is creamy smooth that makes you want your next sip. This is an exceptional beer, high in complexity but easy to drink. Four and a Half Drunk Monks

No comments:

Post a Comment