Friday, April 29, 2011

Five Hours in Heathrow



I was in London for an overnight to facilitate a workshop the other day. Workshop went well and it was a good opportunity to meet some other members of my company. As a favor to the attendees, the organizers decided to kill the last session of the day so everyone could leave an hour early to manage the traffic caused by the Royal Wedding. My secretary, being uber-efficient, had foreseen the traffic and booked me a later flight on Brussels Air. So this left me a five hour wait in Heathrow's terminal 1 without the option of an earlier flight. My fault, I probably should have checked that there was no earlier flight before heading to the airport, but didn't think that would be possible. So I got some quality time with my computer at the airport.

While sitting in the airport Star Alliance Lounge, I heard no fewer than four American ladies "of a certain age", who said to their husbands "I wonder if we will see any Royals coming in for the Wedding?" Which I could understand if we were in the arrivals area of terminal 5 and not an airport departures lounge in terminal 1. Surprisingly, only one of their husbands told them not to be "f&$%ing stupid, why would they be in a lounge waiting for a flight if they were in for the wedding?" Here Here, sir. Well played.

All this time and stupidity works up a thirst and so I was fortunate enough to find a couple of Cask Conditioned Real Ales. The Abbott Ale was first up. The Abbott is a creamy, easy to drink beer with hints of butterscotch and barley. It is very lightly hopped and quite a departure from the Belgian strong ales I have been drinking predominantly since moving to Europe. I like cask conditioned ales. The smooth mouthfeel and low carbonation are a nice change of pace. The Abbott is a tasty offering although somewhat bland. For this reason, I offer it only Three Drunk monks.

I also tried a London's Pride IPA that was also cask conditioned. This was not an IPA as we would know it in the US. There was some hop, but it was not the astringent hoppiness that have become so characteristic of the style. I found it a bit murky however. Also Three Drunk Monks

2 comments:

  1. Fuller's London Pride is a bitter aka pale ale. One of my favorites from the cask in London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually this was the Fullers IPA. It is a seasonal beer. I have had their ESB which is, as you say, excellent.

    ReplyDelete