Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hooters for Mothers Day????


I just returned from a week long business trip to the US. I started in Chicago and then went to the Bay area. Returning to the states these days provides an interesting set of observations. I have maintained all along that as good as the food is in Belgium, nobody does a steak like the US. A big juicy dry aged ribeye is a thing of beauty and something that is all but impossible to get in Europe. Bourbon is another weakness. I can get basic Jim Beam in Belgium, but something more refined like a Woodford Reserve, is not so easy. When combined, a Woodford and a Ribeye, I start feeling a little homesick.

There are other things though, that leave me shaking my head. As I was readying to leave San Francisco, I was watching ESPN and an ad for Hooters came up. The Advertisment was promising 10 free wings for mom for mother's day. That is correct, Take mom to Hooter's for Mothers Day! I realize that they have good wings, but shouldnt common decency dictate that you not bring the mother of your children to Hooter's on Mother's Day? And if that is where mom want's to go, perhaps there may be other issues that require addressing? Maybe I am a prude, but even taking the love of your life to Chili's is probably better received than Hooters. Shouldnt the Hooters people focus on Cinco de Mayo or even Father's Day??? And what about the kids? I find this more than a little disturbing.

Returning home from the US, I broke open an Urthel Samaranth Quadrium 12. The Urthel is a a very strong complex ale. The Urthel pours a deep caramel color. The nose is yeasty. The flavor is heavy on caramel malt sweetness but with many layers of hops and butterscotch. As you drink the beer there are additional flavors of spice that come out with exposure to the air. Complex, tasty and kicks like a mule. 4 Drunk Monks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment