Monday, May 2, 2011

Golf, Belgian Style


Played golf for the first time in Belgium at a nice course called Pierpont Golf Club. (http://www.pierpont.be/) A friend from work invited me to join he and his cousin for a round. The course itself is great. They were in the process of putting a new roof on the place when I arrived. It is essentially a great house with several attached outbuildings which form a picturesque courtyard. Like a lot of the new courses in the US, they have used the original buildings to create atmosphere. The course had some ground under repair from quite a few renovations that they seem to be doing. It really seems as though they are investing some money into the place and I have to say, I am thinking it might be a good course to join.

One of the differences between golf in Belgium and golf in the US is that very few people use golf carts. The order of the day is walking. I like walking a golf course. I think it slows you down a little and makes you see the hole better. That being said, I am not ashamed to say that at the end of my 18, I felt it. As much as we walk here, I seldom have occasion to walk for 4 hours over hill and dale without a break. It didn't occur to me until I was done, that in the entire day, I did not see a single golf cart.

My game was a little up and down today, which is to be expected as I have not played since last August. Missed a few short puts but had a couple of birdies and shot 86. All in all, a great first outing.

In a celebratory mood, I opened a Tempelier. We have owned the tulip glass since we moved here but have not yet tried the beer. The tempelier pours a deep amber color. A nice yeasty nose and lacy head. There is some hop, some malt and a little spice. This is a very acceptable beer. Easy to drink, low on alcohol (relative to most Belgian beers), but is not memorable. Three Drunk Monks.

1 comment: