Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Beer Glasses

That is, Beer Glasses not Beer Goggles. Belgians take their beer glasses very seriously. Almost every beer has it's own glass. Most would be considered Tulips but there are many other shapes as can be seen by some of the photos on this site. Some say that the shape is designed to enhance the various beers, but that is just marketing. As someone who has always drunk beer from bottles however, I have to say that I believe it is better to drink your beer from a glass. Being able to smell the beer while you are drinking enhances the flavor. And if nothing else, it is fun collecting all the obscure shapes.



I am woefully behind on the blog posts, so am going to try to catch up on about two weeks of tastings here. SWMBO and I popped by Moeder Lambic over the weekend for a quick beverage after enjoying noodles at Au Bon Bol. She has decided that her favorite beer is the Saint Monon Au Miel. I would agree that it is pretty tasty. We had it fresh from the tap and on a hot day, it was quite refreshing. A slight honey note with fruity background. It was a fairly light beer for being 8%. Three and a half Drunk Monks.




My selection at Moeder Lambic was a Lambic blend from Tilquin Gueuzerie. This is not a beverage for amateurs. With the natural fermentation and lambic sourness, this is a beer that fights back. It has almost an oily mouth feel and a serious tart edge. Beneath that though is a fruity malty beer with a lot of complexity. Also three and a half drunk monks.


Last up was a Djean triple. A good beer to follow up the lambic. Crisp, a little hop but not spectacular. Three Drunk monks.


The final beer to review is a Valeir Xtra. My first sip had me thinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. That is about the best way I could review this. Crisp refreshing and the most hoppy beer I have had since living in Belgium . And as hot as today was, a good beer to end the evening with. Three and a half drunk monks.

No comments:

Post a Comment