Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bleary Eyed But Blogging


When I was traveling a lot for business, I had gotten to the point where I adapted to time zones quickly. As I write this however, I am feeling pretty exhausted. I was in Chicago for more than a week attending the American Society of Clinical Oncology Meeting and returned to Belgium this morning on the red-eye.

I have been fortunate enough to travel in Business and First Class on many airlines. Given this experience, I have to say that American Airlines is among the least comfortable business class cabins I have ever experienced. Better than coach, but only just. I debated taking an Ambien before the flight, but I was a little concerned that it was not long enough and I would wake up feeling woozy. As a result, I did not sleep at all and returned to Belgium in a splendid mood.

While I was gone, SWMBO procured a few new beers for the blog. A good start on improving my mood. Tonight I am trying the Abbaye De St Amand. The beer is flavored with Juniper berries, which is also one of the key flavorings for gin, another beverage of which I am fond. The beer itself starts with some sweetness and citrus notes. The juniper is there, but very light adding an herbal component that complements the citrus well. There is a good balance of hop that counters the sweetness and gives the beer some structure. Three and a half Drunk Monks!

No comments:

Post a Comment