Thursday, September 13, 2012

Lagging Jets


I got about 4 hours of sleep on my flight last night. San Diego to Chicago was middle of the day, so no sleep to be had. Quick turn in Chicago, which fortunately came in two gates away from the Brussels leg of my flight. A pre dinner drink and two glasses of wine with dinner and I was out somewhere over Newfoundland. Woke up over the White Cliffs of Dover. So generally not bad as far as these trips usually go.

I really can’t complain too much. My company flies me Business Class on any long haul, so compared to my days in VC backed start-ups, I am living large. SWMBO informed me on this trip that I am less than 200K away from a million miles on United and lifetime Gold status. Considering I have about 350K on British Airways and another 400-500K on various other airlines, I have probably absorbed more than my fair share of solar radiation.

Landing in Brussels this morning, my driver was waiting for me. (Another perk of Big companies). He drove me home and I took a quick shower and headed into the office. (I drove myself. I don’t want people thinking I am losing touch.) Unfortunately I had meetings scheduled all afternoon. Normally I am pretty good with the jet lag. When you travel as much as I do, you lose some of your sense of temporal space, but you also develop coping mechanisms. As an example, rather than sleeping in and heading to the airport, I set my alarm for 3AM and worked until I needed to head to the airport. In this way, I guaranteed I would be able to sleep on my transatlantic. Right now I am trying to push through until about 9:30 so that I can be fully reset for the weekend. Which in itself is a little foolish because I will be heading back to the US next Thursday.

Hopefully, I will get a full 8 tonight and be ready to go in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment