Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Belgium, Land of lost businesses


Everywhere else in the world, travel agents and cobblers have gone the way of the Dinosaurs. Here in Belgium however, they are thriving businesses. At least as far as Belgian businesses go. My town has at least two cobblers and three travel agencies. I live in a small town. And as far as I can see, my town is not that different from any of the other ones around here. It seems every little village has a cobbler or two and a couple of travel agencies. The cobblers I can sort of understand. Belgium is hard on shoes. All the cobblestones and rain do not suggest thin italian soles or stilletos. But travel agents? Hasn't anyone ever heard of Orbitz or Expedia? William Shatner could make a killing here driving these little mom and pop shops out of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment