Friday, February 11, 2011

Technology Assisted


Technology makes being an expat easier. Between Skype, Facebook, blogs, internet television, online newspapers, etc. it would be really easy to forget that you are living in a foreign country. Until you leave your house that is. Actually even in your house, it is hard to forget it. When you live in a 230 year old house in Northern Europe, there are little reminders everywhere. So, ignore my first comment. Still, with the ability to Skype with friends and family, and to share in their daily lives, it does help with the distance. I probably speak with my mother and see her on Skype, more than I ever did when we lived in the US. My daughter and I text and IM on facebook daily and there are the usual facebook entries. So while not a substitute for close contact, technology does make it easier.

Online TV tends to be a hit or miss prospect. On the upside, we get the Daily Show and Colbert Report. And we can buy TV series from iTunes. On the downside, there is limited hockey and the NFL online packages are as expensive as a Direct Tv Superfan pack in the US. Belgian TV is not exactly stellar. We tend to watch a lot of Discovery Channel on the Flemish television. She who must be obeyed has also become a huge fan of What not to Wear and other similarly brain rotting American Television. When Toddlers and Tiara's is in heavy rotation on European television, you know America is not putting it's best foot forward.

I thought by this point we would be in more withdrawl from the US. I think with the help of technology, homesickness will stay at bay for a little while longer. Although I could REALLY use some Enchiladas verde about now.

While I contemplate Mexican food, I am tasting a L'Autruche. This is essentially a Double pouring out a rich dark Amber. When I saw the color, I thought I was in for a treat, but not so much. The beer has quite a full and creamy mouthfeel with a distinct caramel malt sweetness. This beer could really benefit with some additional hop character. It doesnt have enough else going on so the sweetness dominates. Not bad but not great. Three Drunk Monks.

No comments:

Post a Comment