Friday, February 18, 2011

Recognizing the Effort

She who must be obeyed dove on the grenade this evening and made dinner. This is a pretty big deal, because in fact she does not really cook. I do 90% of the cooking in this family and when I don't, we usually go out to eat. The 10% that she usually contributes is largely assembly rather than cooking. It consists of a menu of sandwiches, chicken baked in pasta sauce and the occasional spaghetti. And as I know she will read this; NO buying lasagna at the Italian shop and reheating it is not cooking.

Tonight however she tried her hand at slow roasting pork ribs in 5 spice powder and making her own asian barbecue sauce. This was accompanied by asian braised cabbage and reheated store-bought fried rice. This is a pretty high bar for someone who doesn't cook and I applaud the effort. The ribs were cooked perfectly, but the sauce let her down. I blame Tyler Florence, his recipes are crap. The cabbage was actually quite good. And the rice, not a winner, but that is not her fault.

As busy as my week has been, it would be really poor form to criticize her efforts. She certainly seemed harried when I got home and I really appreciate her trying to take some of the workload off my back. So, I love you dear, but I think I will do the cooking tomorrow.


And now for this evening's tasting. The La Botteresse Blond starts off well with one look at its farmer's daughter / Stripper label. The pour has ashort lived head and dark caramel color. The beer is exceptionally floral and citrusy with strong spicy notes. It is so complex that I think would be a love it or hate it kind of beer. I don't love it or hate it. It is interesting and would make a good aperetif but is not an everyday beer. Three and a Half Drunk Monks.

1 comment:

  1. Reheating lasagna from the Italian market may not be cooking but it sure is yummy!

    ReplyDelete